Call for B.S. and M.S. Student Competition
July 7-8, 2023
This call refers to B.S. and M.S. students interested in participating to a brainstorming-based competition to be held during the Conference IEEE EUROCON 2023 at Politecnico di Torino, Italy.
The language is English.
The competition requires the discussion among students grouped in Teams that will be formed on-site during the conference, with the preparation of a presentation on a topic in the field of interest of the IEEE. In particular, each Team will prepare and present a maximum number of 10 slides on a topic referring to one of the following Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs, https://sdgs.un.org/goals):
- 3 – Good Health and Well-Being.
- 11 – Sustainable Cities and Communities.
- 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production.
The timings and actions required for participating in the competition are as follows:
a) Before the Conference – Pre-selection of the students:
the B.S. and M.S. students interested in participating will send their declarations of interest by 31 May 2023 by filling the form available on the web site https://forms.gle/gPFpoQKtU58jBX7JA. The interest has to be indicated on an individual basis (not for groups of students). The information requested includes:
- Name and surname of the student
- University (name and country)
- E-mail of the student (the University email address is preferred)
- Degree course attended and year
- Topics of interest (free indication)
- Short motivational letter to participate in the competition (max 100 words)
An Evaluation Committee established by the IEEE Eurocon 2023 Organizers will assess the proposals. The results of the pre-selection will be communicated to the students by 10 June 2023. The decision on the number of students to select will keep an appropriate balance between B.S. and M.S students.
b) During the Conference, the activity will be developed in three periods:
- First period (Friday 7 July 2023, hour 14:30-16:30): formation of the Teams, under the coordination of reference persons established by the Conference Organizers, and initial discussions among the members of each Team.
- Second period (Friday 7 July 2023, hour 17:00-18:30): Team work, with brainstorming and preparation of the presentations. Each Team will have to work on the laptop computer(s) of the participants. The slides to be presented will have to be sent to the Organizers by the end of the second period.
- Third period (Saturday 8 July 2023, hour 9:00-10:30:presentations in front of the Evaluation Committee in a Special Session of the Conference. The presenters are expected to bring with them the laptop for the presentation. Each member of the Team will have to present at least one slide.
All students selected for participating in the competition and active in the three periods will receive a participation certificate. The best idea and the best presentation will be awarded with a customized IEEE certificate and 2 prizes of €250 each for the winners in the two categories, plus 2 prizes for the second places in the two categories and 2 prizes for the third places in the two categories, co-financed by the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund through the project Modular Platform for Control and Monitoring of Smart City Lighting – SmartCityLight (grant KK.01.1.1.07.0032). The award ceremony will take place on 8 July 2023 at hour 13:00 during the Conference Closing Ceremony.